Re: RC: statistics on AERC rides...

> > as usual - the 100s are a very small fraction of total riders - >
only 6%> > of the membership competed in 1 day 100s.  thought this used
to be > almost 10%

I wonder if this has to do with increasing membership or decreasing
100's.  I hope it means that as we become more aggressive in increasing
our numbers, we
have started something of a "baby boom" of lower distance riders who will
someday move up.

> > LD represents 32% of the total and likely growing.  SE and Central >
have by far the> > largest LD programs with 36% of the total LD even
though they are > some of the
> > smaller rider regions.

You know, you can say "Southeast" but as a person who lives here I
believe you could substitute that for "Georgia".  The farther south you
get, and the hotter and more humid it gets the more LD's you run into.
Also, there's a BIG LD contingency centered around Atlanta. These people
have limited trails to condition on, and often commute quite a ways to
get to where their horses are boarded.

The rest of us here in the SE are very spread out geographically.  The
Atlanta crowd tends to be fairly well organized and large in numbers
simply because of a heavy concentration of people in the area.  They're
good people and try to recruit a lot, but they recruit other people who
have the same problems, short on trails, and time. If you go to Kentucky,
Tennessee, or North Carolina you just don't see it. The Alabama and
Mississippi groups are small, but from what I've seen have more 50's
percentage wise (more trails). If if you want to see a BIG LD, go to
Million Pines (about 2hrs. from Atlanta) or Hahira, GA. right on the FLA.
line.

Angie
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.