RE: RE: Re: Re: club foot

Okay, since you asked "publically"!

"Blame" it on Diana Thompson - but she gave me a long and expensive
checklist for me to work on.  Took a couple of years of tweaking, and there
was some deviation from what she recommended, but this is what I had to do
to get a straight horse.  Beau had the "high-low" heel syndrome and a
chronic lumbosacral subluxation. This may or not be applicable to your
situation!
1. Had the vet examination for lameness.  Diagnosis: Upward fixation of the
patella.  Prescription:  Uphill trotting to strengthen the quads.
2. Had a farrier/lay chiropractor do some maniuplation and shoe Beau with a
shim.  There is an article in The Whole Horse Journal about what this guy
does for high/low syndrome.  He had a sore butt for a week afterwards, but
once he got over that he was able to pick up a canter up hill which he
hadn't been able to do for some time.  This had done wonders for Beau, but I
ended up not continuing to follow his advice because Beau ended up having
even chest, shoulders and legs over the last year.
3. Massive dental work by the local equine vet (not an equine dentistry
expert, however).
4. Had to change farrier's twice because the first one was 3 hours away, and
the second one was grumpy and Beau would be butt-sore everytime he shod him.
I got a young farrier, just out of farrier school, who was real eager to
please.  Went about four cycles of constant monitoring.  Took off the shim,
trimmed more heel on the high one, let the other one grow out, used wider
web shoes on the hinds.  Finally got it.  Kept on a five week shoeing cycle
for the duration and will continue that cycle just cause that's the way the
rides are lining up for the remainder of the season.
5. Chiropractic work by a DVM.  She also said that he needed dental work -
AGAIN - only two months after it was done by the local vet.
6. Hauled him an hour to get dental work done by a vet who has had some more
training in dental.
7. Tried a lot of different saddles.  He kept on changing shape last year.
I kept on trying creative padding.  None of them worked last year and I
couldn't afford another one, so I wasn't' able to ride him too hard for the
late summer-fall.  But I spent that time with him under long lines and
lunging, doing cavaletti work, Tteam bodywraps (another TWHJ article
explains this).
8. Had chiropractice care for myself.  We were both so communally crooked
that we couldn't tell who was making who more crooked.
9. Had a young girl ride him at a canter.  She's more balanced and lighter
than I am and is fearless.  Gave him more confidence in his own body.
10. I rode another horse while taking Centered Riding lessons.  Therefore I
could better isolate what is my crookedness from the my horses.
11. Learned some stretches, massage techniques, and accupressure from Diana
Thompson and followed up with a very intense massage course this year.
12. The best thing of all was that I purchased a Reactor Panel saddle (after
the money finally rolled in).  It's made a world of difference in the way I
ride and his comfort level.  His topline, which completely wasted away last
year due to conditioning and bad saddlefit, had totally improved within the
first two months I rode with it.  I'm more comfortable in it to, and it
makes me ride in a more correct position.  I received a lot of pressure from
some people I really respect for getting this saddle because they believe in
custom made saddles.  This saddle is pretty much totally adjustable, which
is what I wanted after all the trauma of him changing shape last year.  One
of my friends who already had a custom SR ended up ordering another custom
Andy Foster saddle because her SR ended up not fitting her and her horse it
was fitted for!  I'm not saying that the SR is a bad saddle.  Custom saddles
are just not for me.

Anyway, I don't know what problems you are having with your horse, so the
above may or may not help.  If you could have Diana Thompson evaluate your
horse, you would at least know where to start to look for your own
solutions. She gives clinics all over the US.  I tell you, all the stuff
I've learned over the past few years because of our problems have been
fascinating and makes me a better horseperson.  And I have learned that a
traditional vet is not always the final solution because the stifle issue
never really went away until I did the chiropractic work, too.  I also spent
a lot of time reading books, magazines, cruising the web, etc. for other
pieces of information.  And then trust your gut instincts!

Bore me, please!  I'm looking for ways to help my mare out.  She could be a
nice endurance horse, has the breeding, the attitude, and the athleticism,
if I could be sure she was comfortable and would remain sound.
Kris