Re: deworming program (quest)

----- Original Message -----
From: <Onefarmgirl@aol.com>> really bloomed once I added it in to my
program, but I got pretty worried
> once I started reading some of the horror stories.

http://www.equinenet.org/ernet/worms.html  interesting page about worming,
includes some specific info on safety and toxic levels, including quest.

my personal experience: I am 35 yrs old and have owned horse(s) about 30
yrs.  In Jan was the first time I had one die.  *all* the horses on the
below list were on the same grain, hay and pasture, kept in the same
conditions and received basically the same care.  I know that many people
have used quest without problems, and I have no type of scientific
documentation, I don't want to discuss it, I know they all died of
unexplained or unrelated causes, and I don't have any way to link any of
this other then what I have posted.  I'll let the facts stand on their own,
you interp them however you want.  I just think it is a pretty awful
coincidence. Other than the stallion who *was* having a strong *recovery*
from cancer, these horses were all very healthy., no known health problems.
These horses had all been on a regular worming schedule and I was *very*
particular about using the correct dose.

9/1/99 wormed 5 horses with Quest: of those five:
1. mature gelding: died Jan 9th (found dead - no apparent struggle, no
obvious reason)
2. aged mare: died Jan 21 (coliced.  seemed to recover but her bladder
prolapsed and broke off)
3. young broodmare: colic (no apparent reason) Jan 28 - thumps Jan 29.
delivered weak filly 3 weeks overdue. (April)
4. mature gelding: died July 5th 2000. succumbed to injection infection.
5. 2yr filly: - fine as far as I know., but she left here in October

2/2/00 wormed 2 horses with Quest:
1. mature stallion: died March 30 explosive growth of tumors and dramatic
downhill since middle of Feb.
2. yearling filly  - fine as far as I know.  she is still here, and I
haven't seen any sickness or weakness in her.

7 horses not wormed with quest: all completely healthy.

Becky Huffman
Huffman's Arabians ~ The Original Series ~
http://www.htcomp.net/Huffman/