Re: RC: Discrete Inquiry

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000 09:16:48 EDT, Onefarmgirl@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 7/9/00 11:41:09 AM Pacific Daylight Time, SandyDSA@aol.com
>writes:
>
><< you are reachign into the region of
> offensive and arrogant, not to mention really rude. >>
>
>Yeah, and we all know how that would bother Tom  :-)    Seriously, Tom I wish
>you the best of luck.   You can't find what you don't look for.

Tom Ivers--A Modern Diogenes?   ;-)

"Diogenes of Sinope:  Greek philosopher . . . perhaps the most noted
of the Cynics . . . [credited with] a scandalous attack of convention
. . . believed that virtue was better revealed in action than in theory
. . . [said to have] gone about Athens with a lantern in the daytime,
claiming to be looking for an honest man--but never finding one."
(extracts attributed to Academic American Encyclopedia at

The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy (cited at the same URL)
describes Diogenes "attaching" himself as disciple to Antisthenes, head
of the Cynics.  "Antisthenes at first refused to admit him into his
house and even struck him with a stick. Diogenes calmly bore the rebuke
and said, 'Strike me, Antisthenes, but you will never find a stick
sufficiently hard to remove me from your presence, while you speak
anything worth hearing.'"

Doubtless I will scandalize some to suggest comparison between Tom
Ivers and such a Saturday-morning-cartoon icon as the rag-clad
lantern-bearer Diogenes.  However, surrounded in my world with
euphemistic human-resources departments and accompanying beureaucratic
paraphernalia, it gives me great joy to read such a plainly stated
set of requirements for a job applicant.

Diogenes didn't have the internet.  I wish Tom better luck.

Best,
Ben Turner
bturner@ida.org