Re: RC: Discrete Inquiry

In a message dated 7/9/00 1:08:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time, woa@stormnet.com
writes:

<< Whoever works for Ti is obviously going to have to lay ego aside and
 develop a thick crust and a VERY dry sense of humor---- that may be a
 taller order to fulfill than the equestrian requirements<BG> Hope you
 find your ideal rider, Ti; they certainly will learn much from your
 scientific methods. And you do care about your horses so that business
 about "no fluff" (if fluff is equated with compassion) doesn't fool me
 one bit<G>
 Bette >>

I have no fear of egos--what I'm looking for is talent, pride and living
curiosity. What I don't need is Bismark's "stupid and energetic" warriors.
Untalented people firmly dedicated to doing as many useless and stupid things
as the day will allow--in the name of what, diversity of opinion?  I'll learn
from anybody, anytime, hungrily. But the person who teaches me is going to
have to actually KNOW something, and demonstrate that knowledge--not just
have one moronic and airheaded opinion after another. This is the real world
we're dealing with.

I took your note as it was intended. I know I'm asking for a lot--demanding a
lot. But I expect the same from myself.

As far as "fluff" is concerned--giving a damn, and then knowing what to
do--that's the key. Pretending to give a damn, but not taking the time to
acquire knowledge, discipline and the necessary skills, is just fluff and a
total waste of time--and an attitude that daily injures horses all across the
country, whether they're racehorses or endurance horses. I would always
prefer to team up with someone who has a working knowledge stronger than
mine--then things really get fun.

In fact, it is my habit, when working as a consultant, to bring in the best
proven expertise I can find, whether or not parts of that intellect wrestle
with parts of mine--we can argue all night long, but in the light of day,
getting the job done with the fewest mistakes possible is the only goal. I
always feel more secure when the holes in my knowledge are covered by the
person in the foxhole with me.

On the other hand, I am completely intolerant of imbeciles handling horses
that belong to my clients. I get into a lot of trouble that way with some
owners who don't want to "rock the boat". But I just will not see it
happen--so, more often than not, I leave and seek higher ground.

In this case, I am trying to save everyone time and money, including
prospective employees of the farm. The criteria I laid out are basic
horsemanship and basic employee requirements. Sure don't need somebody moving
into the area and then suddenly realizing "Oh, I have to do what you tell me
to do???" "Oh, I can't run a horse through a fence and have you feeling sorry
for me???" "Oh, I can't train a horse like I've always done and keep you out
of my hair???" I believe people with those expectatons are complete airheads,
and Sandy can have all of them she wants--should be not problem, they're all
over the place calling themselves horsemen and horsewomen. I just don't want
them at my place. And if they're brought in to my place, I'll leave rather
than have to watch the sickening aftermath.

ti