separation anxiety--training problem

<<Going to have to break with my tradition of making no comments on
ridecamp  for this one. My trails are also such that backing off the trail
or getting too anxious could lead to VERRRY BIG falls. I have had to resort
to strategies that don't require the use of a parachute.
My first question is, does he not want to leave home or not want to leave
his buddy? If it is his buddy, often it helps to ride together & then make
minor separations on the trail where they can see each other & then get
right back together again. Gradually increase the distance & time. Key to
this is making the separations short enough that he stays relaxed. This may
not be an instant cure but it is certainly worth the extra work. The other
thing that seems to consistently gain success is to find spots along the
trail that give you enough room to do circles. By this I do not mean
circling your horse. I mean the kind of circles where you focus on making
the roundest circles possible, continuously asking your horse to move his
inside leg deeper underneath himself by squeezing with your inside leg as
his inside leg comes forward. There is a lot to be said for focusing on
what you want to do instead of what you don't want him to do.
Hope this helps.
carol
oregon >>

I think it is leaving his buddy.  I will see tomorrow because a friend is
coming over, and we will take the horses out together.  We will try your
suggestion of "mini" separations.  I will also try more schooling.  I think
I can get him over to the arena, even if I have to lead him.  They can
still hear each other from there, so it will give him practice in listening
to me, doing circles, etc., even while his mind is on his buddy.

Thanks for breaking your tradition of "no comments."  I need all the help I
can get. ;~)

Suzanne