Re: RC: ok, next question - jake brakes/exhaust brakes

On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 17:23:14 -0700, Gary Fend <garyfend@pacbell.net>
wrote:
>Are you asking about real (compression release) jake brakes or the exhaust
>restrictor that is sometimes mistaken for jake brakes?
>I was under the impression that even though Cummins invented the jake brake,
>they were not available for light trucks.

     Jacobs Vehicle Systems makes both "engine brakes" (their signature,
noisy engine braking system normally found on class 7 and 8 tractors)
as well as the much quieter "exhaust brakes" found on pickups, medium
trucks and RVs.  Therefore, there has been some natural "crossover" in the
terminology in common use.  There are pointers to specific Jacobs products
at the URL: http://www.jakebrake.com/products/products.htm along with
descriptions of the two different braking concepts.

     Since the exhaust braking systems are of most interest to folks on
this list, you might also look at BD exhaust brakes at
http://www.dieselperformance.com/Exhaust_Brakes/exhaust_brakes.html
US Gear exhaust brakes at: http://www.usgear.com/dcelerator.htm
and PacBrake at: http://www.pacbrake.com/

     Additional considerations to ponder for automatic transmission trucks
dealing with torque converter lockup and warranty factors are discussed
at:  http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ExhaustBrakeDebate.htm

     Added diesel resources on the web include:
http://www.dieselpage.com/, http://www.ford-diesel.com/, and
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/

Best,
Ben Turner