3rd loop blues

  I have to agree that the slow down on the 3rd loop is related to the
riders attitude  and attention. I keep focused and keep aware of my horse
speed on the 3rd loop.  I have beaten many people by just not slowing down
on the 3rd loop while others slow down as they get depressed. I really am
aware of this on 100s.  For years, my horses looked tired and depressed
between 60 and 75 miles, then got tons better after the 75 mile mark and
were strong at the end.  Someone pointed out to me that I was depressed and
the horse was just picking it up from me.  Now, I don't let my attitude
deteriorate and therefore neither does my horses attitude.
  I have found it to be easier on a changing trail, but that is not always
possible to find. I do recommend  the Grand Island 100 (in Upper Mi)as a
horse's 1st 100.  The trail does a 10 mile loop to start, then goes 45 miles
straight up and turns around and comes 45 miles home. When you and the horse
are tired, camp pulls you back over familiar territory.
  I usually ride 25 CTR to start horses.  They just don't learn the urgency
of racing and get a good grounding in pacing.  I would probably have started
in LDs, but they weren't available when I started my horses in the midwest.
I'm now addicted to CTRs also as its own end, not as a stepping stone.  In
the midwest a large portion of endurance riders do 50 miles End. on Sat. and
ride CTR on Sun, with the comp. rides judged similar to BC.
Roberta Harms