Re: RC: out of camp checks and ride times

At 04:46 PM 07/06/2000 -0400, Truman Prevatt, Ph.D. wrote:

>If you look at the heart rate walking up a very steep mountain it will
>most likely top that of the heart rate galloping on a flat clay road. So
>speed per se in not the only issue. I would expect the reason the east may
>have more metabolic problems has more to do with ambiant conditions than
>any other factor.

So Truman......what do you think is the most important thing for people to
realize when they are in a ride that is hot and humid, and it's soooo easy
to just let the horse rip down the trail?

To watch the heart rate?  Keep the horse cool (if water is
available).  Walk every so often?  Does it ever get hot/humid enough that
you wouldn't start a ride in the SE?  Do the horses dehydrate first, or get
overheated or both?