Re: RC: out of camp checks and ride times

At 08:14 PM 07/06/2000 +0000, you wrote:
>KAren,
>This does illustrate why it can be difficult to get through to an
>ultra-competitive newbie that they should take the full 6 hours when doing
>their first 25, until they learn a few things. They see the 50's taking
>less. Their first thought is "you're just trying to slow me down so you
>can beat me, I'll show you!" I have actually heard this.

I know, mostly I was just being a smart *ss...... ;P, but people do need to
realize that just because they see other people riding fast doesn't mean
that they should too, just because their horse "can".  Not very many horses
get into metabollic distress that are being ridden slow....and...yes,
middle of the pack horses get into trouble too I know that, but they are
being ridden faster than they are able to handle....so I hope people at
least read this stuff and put some thought about how to ride their first
few rides.

A piece of advice for people starting out -- before you go off racing
somebody or a particular horse, find out who they are.  Learn about your
competition and their history.  This isn't to get you to slow down, but to
get you to realize that racing against seasoned horses and
experienced/smart riders is only going to get you in trouble.  I see this
all the time.....at almost every ride I do.  I hate to see people ride too
fast for their horses abilities, but it's very hard to tell people to slow
down.....like you said, they just think you want to beat them.  ;-0

But of course, anybody that lets me finish ahead of them (when we're in the
front), I'll offer to take their picture as they cross the finish line!! <G>

Happy Trails

Pot Stirrer :^)