LD and BC

Okay, so this is just my opinion and all, but I can't help wondering why
Limited Distance can't be simply treated in the same fashion as "real
endurance"?  Why do we as a group get so worked up over Limited Distance?

Bear with me as I carry on the marathon theme from earlier...

"Real" runners (the human kind), run marathons.  Some folk out there like to
run but for any number of reasons can't do marathons and stick to the more
limited distance of 5K or 10K.  Though these limited distance runners aren't
doing marathons, they are still runners and enjoy all the "perks" thereof.
Including placings, the thrill of competition, aches, pains, etc.  Ditto for
most other distance/endurance sports.

I, for many number of reasons, can't do "real endurance" and stick to
Limited Distance.  Though folks like me aren't doing "real endurance", we
are still distance riders, and speaking for myself, I would like to enjoy
all the "perks" thereof.  Including placings, the thrill of competition, ,
aches, pains, etc.

I see nothing wrong with being at the top of the game in a "lesser" sport
like Limited Distance.  So maybe one day when my confidence level in Roo is
way on up there, I let him out a notch and we "fly" through our 25 miles at
the same pace the "real endurance" riders are doing their 50.  And at the
end of that race, Roo looks like he could do another 25 dandily.  Is this so
much less an accomplishment than the riders doing the 50 that we wouldn't
deserve to compete for a best condition within our own division?  Or to have
our accomplishment ranked (either by finish order or pulse down order, I
don't see where it matters) as for the 50?

Some marathon runners start off in the 5k or 10k races.  They learn what
they need to learn, train their bodies and minds  and move on.  Some folk
learn what they need to learn, train their bodies and minds and jump right
into marathons.  Some people start off in 5k races and never move on,
finding in the 5k-10k distance a comfortable spot.  These lesser runners
enjoy racing their competitors as much as I enjoy racing my competitors.
Maybe next year, or the one after that when Roo is ready, I will race my
competitors, and maybe even do some "winning".  Then again maybe never.  But
I still want to COMPETE.

It is patently impossible to make any form of competition safe.  We are not
always going to be able to protect horses from their riders and riders from
themselves.  The more restrictions placed on Limited Distance, the tighter
the rules become and the more "real endurance" racers look down their noses
at Limited Distance as a sport all on it's little own, the fewer and fewer
Limited Distance riders there will be.  The fewer Limited Distance riders
their are, the fewer of them that will accept the challenge of moving up to
do the real thing.

I would like to see Limited Distance treated equal to real endurance in
terms of placings, BC, awards what have you.  But don't make the real racers
compete with us lesser racers before being admitted to the rarified club of
endurance riders.

To each his own...

-Tamara woodcock
“The mission, he thought, probably failed because of a series of
logical, reasonable, carefully considered decisions, each of which
seemed like a good idea at the time.  Like most colossal disasters.” -
Mary Doria Russell, The Sparrow
http://www.mindspring.com/~nis75p06/
AOL Instant Messenger:  Conthesis
ICQ: 49294214