Re: Speaking of Bute...

Subject: RC: Speaking of Bute...

> ... I didn't see anyone give an adequate explination
> of why a rider might be carrying bute *during an
> endurance ride, on the endurance trail*.  ........
>It took Tom Ivers (as opposed to an
> endurance rider) to remind us that there is something
> a little strange about an endurance rider carrying bute
> on the endurance trail, during an endurance ride. ...........
>...........What Was An Endurance Rider
> Doing Carrying Bute On The Trail During A Ride....

Hi Kat,
My horse tied up on a training ride two years ago. We were about two miles
from anywhere where we could get a trailer in. Fortunately it was in July (a
very hot July), as I had nothing with which I could cover her. She stood
frozen to the spot where she stopped for almost two hours. All the while,
pouring sweat as though someone had a hose runing water over her back. While
I stayed with her and did battle with the milllions of biting mosquitoes, my
friend rode back to the trailer and brought it as close to the trail as she
could. When Engelita finally attempted to step forward, I walked her slowly
to the trailer.
The vet met me at home and admisnistered IV fluids and gave her intravenous
injection of (I think, Banamine). It is my understanding that if Banamine
had been administered at the outset, further muscle damage could be
mitigated to a greater or lesser extent. I very recently had a discussion
with Heidi by private post and she suggested that Banamine could be a help
but that because she was probably within some level of dehydration, perhaps
a half dose might be helpful.
We were never able to determine the cause of the episode. But from that day
forward, I make it a point to carry a tube of Banamine in the event she
should have a recurring episode as it would only be of help if I could get
it into her right away. Thank goodness that there has been no reoccurance.
But I feel a bit better having Banamine on hand in the event of an emergency
where it could prevent major damage. Yes, I have it in my pack on training
rides and on endurance rides. With a tieing up episode, time is of the
essence in getting Banamine into her. We don't know why the rider in
question had Butte but it may well have been for some reason similar to
mine. I am not as interested in being given a "completion" as I am with
protecting my horse in the event of a medical emergency.
Pat