Speaking of Bute...

... I didn't see anyone give an adequate explination
of why a rider might be carrying bute *during an
endurance ride, on the endurance trail*.  I do
remember reading that a rider passing by provided
bute to Dancer after he had gone down the ravine at
Oakland Hills.  It took Tom Ivers (as opposed to an
endurance rider) to remind us that there is something
a little strange about an endurance rider carrying bute
on the endurance trail, during an endurance ride.  I
understand why people might have bute in their tack
boxes or in their rig, but What Was An Endurance Rider
Doing Carrying Bute On The Trail During A Ride?  I can't
for the life of me figure out why a person might want to
administer bute on the trail.  If a horse is in trouble on the
trail, he's probably a bit dehydrated anyways.  He's going
to need vet treatment, possibly fluids, and something like
bute (or banamine) can be then be safely provided at the
time of treatment.

I haven't heard a reasonable explination for it.
And I don't think the point should be brushed over.

- Kat Myers
in No. Cal. with Magnum the TB ex-racer
and Mr Maajistic... resident endurance weasel
... who is well aware that bute can be a very
effective treatment when used properly