Re: RC: LD and BC

There is the "best of all possible worlds" and then there is the real
world. If you have a ride with 100 LD's and you give a BC then you have
3 choices. The first is a poor BC exam by one vet, the second is an
adaquate VC exam by more than one vet and the third is limit the number
of horses that can stand. In the first case it's not fair to give a poor
exam for BC. In the second case, each vet will score things slightly
differently and again it is not fair. In the third case you need
something reasonable to make you cut for the horses that can stand.

An LD is a training ride and it is a traning ride for endurance which,
like it or not is a race. Not that LD's should be a race and the rules
of pulse to finish is the best way to make sure it isn't while still
being an a reasonable training ride for endurance riding (or racing if
you want).

Several years ago we in the SE region dealt with this topic. At that
time each ride had its own method of doing BC for LD. There was no
consistency. When we sit down and did the critical analysis, the only
way that made any sense with the number of riders and the fact LD is a
training ground for endurance was to set the cut at the top 10 to reach
a 60 pulse after the finish line.

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt