Re: RC: Shoes, blood flow, and endurance

In a message dated 6/30/00 10:22:15 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Trailrite@aol.com writes:

<< Riding a horse or mule without shoes or some sort of hoof protection is
 not allowed by the AERC.  They must have some sort of hoof protection during
 an event. >>

This is not an AERC rule.  It is sometimes a ride rule.  I have ridden my
horses and mules barefoot.  In fact Bandit is 13 and just got his first pair
of shoes.  The problem I find is that they wear down in the heels and I don't
consider that good.  A number of years ago a horse did do Tevis I think
without shoes.  It was a mustang and had never been shod.  I don't know if it
finished and don't remember much else about it.....maryben