Re: RC: Re: Re: Amblin/Racking/what ever

In a message dated 6/23/00 7:50:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
fasterhorses@gilanet.com writes:

<< OK - I just have to ask this.  Isn't the word "breed" something that only
 applies to domesticated animals?  There's several different types of
 zebras, but nobody refers to each of them as "breeds" of zebras, do
 they?  So wouldn't a Przewalski be something other than a different breed
 of horse?  Just curious, not arguing any point.  Lif >>

You make a good point, Lif.  As I mentioned previously, there were 4
variations of the horse--the Arab, the Przewalski, the Tarpan, and the Great
Forest Horse.  Breeds are a more superficial subdivision, are a
post-domestication phenomenon, and other than the Arab and the Przewalski,
have resulted in blending of the subtypes (primarily the Arab, Tarpan, and
Great Forest Horse).

Heidi