Endurance Training

In a message dated 6/28/00 7:38:52 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
rides2far@juno.com writes:

<< As far as the training thing.  That's a toughy.   >>

That reminds me of a couple of good old boys who were training for the Tevis
a few years ago.  They kept telling my friend (she has 13 Tevis buckles) how
they were conditioning and how fast they were gonna do the Tevis.  She
invited them to come on one of our training rides with us.  We took them on a
30 mile ride that ended up kind of like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride =:O   One of the
guys said that he decided his horse wasn't ready for the Tevis and the other
guy said he'd better start riding more <eg>.  To give him credit, he did
finish Tevis that year on his 18 year old mule.  He did try to go fast too,
but the mule had other plans.  After he left us (about 40 miles into the
ride) to go with a faster group, the mule did that for a while then just
pulled over and sat down on the side of the trail to wait for us.  Once we
came along the mule got up and trotted on down the trail to the finish line
with us.  Seeing that mule sitting there in the moonlight is one of the
funniest memories I have.

Sylvia