Re: RC: Heavyweight saddle preference?

At 05:30 PM 6/23/00 +0000, brenda casebeer wrote:
>Hi everyone, I wanted to ask some of the heavyweight riders what
>they're saddle preferences are.

>Is back soreness a common problem with heavyweight riders?  Is the
>increased time and distance in the saddle fatiguing muscles to the
>point where the horse is going to be sore no matter what?

Jennifer and I both ride heavyweight, though I weigh more than she does.
Your best bet is to get a properly made custom saddle. The saddle I ride in
is a DeSoto by Marilyn Horstmeyer, and we are eagerly awaiting another for
Jennifer and Laser.  One thing to note is that not all custom saddles
really have truly custom trees made to conform to the horse (many use
ralide - a plastic), but the DeSoto uses a custom wood tree - and she makes
the saddle to fit you as well as the horse.

When Jennifer first wanted to buy one, I balked at the price, but now I
think it is worth every penny.  I've also since seen a number of saddles
marketed at nearly twice the price, so the DeSoto seems to be a bargain,
too. Our good saddle also seems to make life a lot easier on the rider. I
don't get back soreness myself, but Jennifer does riding in the cheap junk
Abetta.

I do think that after carrying a heavy rider all day, that the horse can't
help but be somewhat sore - which makes it even more important to be sure
the saddle fits right.

David LeBlanc
dleblanc@mindspring.com