Re: Re: Re: Re: Amblin/Racking/what ever

> To diverge just a bit, I have a friend whose purebred, registered grey
> Arabian mare produced a Bay colt out of a chesnut purebred, registered
> Arabian stallion.  The most interesting thing is this colt has zebra
striping
> on his legs and a slight dorsal stripe, both dun factor traits.  I have
> always believed ithat Arabians don't care dun factor at all.  jeri

The dorsal stripe is not necessarly a dun factor trait.  There are two
excellent web sites on horse color (one by Sharon Batteatte-who is very
interested in dun factor and brindling), and one that is just Arabian coat
color.  The Arabian site says that the dorsal stripe you sometimes see on
chesnuts and bays is called countershading.

We have a gray mare (both her parents grey, at least two grandparents
grey)-she was bred to a chesnut stallion with a dorsal stripe-and produced a
filly that is chesnut with a dorsal stripe.

Anyone want me to dig up those web sites?

Karen