Re: RC: short ride

In a message dated 6/20/00 10:30:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
bolinger@bigsky.net writes:

<< I've decided that picture you always see of John Lyons riding his very
relaxed horse passed a very large bear is one of those
paste-a-picture-onto-another-picture jobs ...:>)..... >>

Not a picture,  a few weeks ago, in the forest that I train, every time I
came to a certain spot on the trail, I would see a mamma and her 2 cubs.  At
first I was with one friend and we saw the 2 cubs as they scampered up a
tree.  A few days later, I was riding the same trail and went slowly in that
area, hoping to catch a glimpse, sure enough there was the mamma & 2 cubs.
She sent them up the tree again, but then she went around the to the backside
of a group of palmettos.  My horse saw the whole thing, not only did he stand
there but watched quietly!   My horse and I stood quietly & then she stood up
on her hind legs as if to check us out too.  It was quite a thrill, several
of my friends also spotted them on their rides.  I saw her several more times
that week.  Of course, Sandy, these were just little ol Florida black bears,
not those big grizzlies you grow up there!
maybe you could come down here to get used to the little bears first. <vbg>

Jackie Baker
Florida