Re: Re: trail riding story...sick but funny

----- Original Message -----
From: GESA BRINKS

story about man losing leg in river when horse rears over................

I have a variation on that, not funny, but funny story to follow.  Gesa's story about the horse rearing and going over reminded me on this story from Pt.Reyes.  Every year hundreds of people camp at Stewarts horse camp and ride over to the ocean.  For a pretty straightforward
dirt road over; horror stories emerge every year of horses going over the side of the cliffs, etc.
One year a man took his green horse over to the ocean and tried to make it go in.  The horse was scared and refused.  Finally, the man got the "bright" idea of making the horse BACK into the ocean, since then the horse could not see it.  This worked until the tide rolled in, PAST THE BACK FEET, and under the front feet.  The horse took the only escape-up.  Went over on the man, and the western saddle horn scooped out his eye...............next year he was back riding to the ocean with a glass eye...........sometimes we really need to think of the consequences of what the horse possibly might do...........before we do something stupid.

Our actions last night might have ended up the same way,(a wreck) four riders and three babies along, nice little loop trail in the evening; up a very brushy hill.  At the top, my friend split off with the two girls and the two babies, and I took the shortcut, since I had the yearling, and didn't want to over do it. My friend ran across the landowner out there, chatted awhile, and he presented a bareback pad he had run across.  My daughter came up with the idea of putting it on one of the youngsters (3 and 4) to carry out.  They had both been saddled and cinched and ridden  slightly, so were both used to things on their back. It was put on the colt, Pistol, and the ride proceeded.  When they caught up to me, he was trotting along, the seat portion under his belly, and the part you sit on flapping back and forth on his belly.  He could care less!  We were all impressed, so decided to torture-um, I mean test out my 4 year old, Passion.  It was put on her upside down, and she carried it that way back to the trailer, with no problem, the seat part slapping her back and forth ..  We decided this was going to be part of our trail training, and hope somday when we are riding, and the saddle slips under their belly, they won't flip out.  This may sound incredibly stupid (possibility of babies flipping out and getting hurt), but I guess we measured the risks, and decided given their personalities and former training, they would be okay.  We do a LOT of strange things to these youngsters; in taking them out on the trail before they are really saddle broke.  Middle aged riders trying to cover someof the bases, so when we DO ride them out on the trail, they have "been there, done that!" One other training technique I have really become to believe in-don't try anything
new on a fresh/frisky horse.  These babies had already done some hill climbing, and had all
their ya-ya's out.

Karen