Re: RC: Dealing with girthy horses/ponies

> Just curious as to how others have dealt with a girthiness problem
> I am considering a pony for my > daughter> and the only vice the little
guy has is that he is girthy...enough > so that at > 7, she is too
young/small to deal with it.

I have a lot of empathy for what ponies put up with.  Lots of Shetlands
have little or no withers.  In order to keep the saddle from rolling
people just go tighter and tighter...and it's never quite enough,
especially if you're letting a child pull up slowly.  Since you're
daughter's 7, you're the one who'll be tightening the girth anyway.  I'd
get it nice and snug, but don't cut the poor pony in half, (that does NOT
mean loose).  We ride our round ponies with cruppers.  Helps a lot and
you don't get that sliding forward from the round belly narrow front
thing.  Any time your child insists "I can do it myself" and wants to
climb up, either hold the other stirrup down, or brace it from your side
to keep it from pulling sideways.

My daughter just started taking lessons this week, and the schooling
horse was a gem, the lady said he's the only horse on the place who earns
his keep...he also tried to take a hunk out of me when we tightened his
girth.  So long as you know to watch for it, it's not a big deal.  I'd
buy the pony.  The trained ones are few and far between, live forever and
hold their value.  If it's really a good one, you're daughter may be 10
before you find another.

Angie
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.