Re: RC: Re: Amblin', not Foxtrottin'

In a message dated 6/17/00 9:46:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
truman.prevatt@netsrq.com writes:

<< She will trot on down a
 paved road where I will get off an walk my arabs.  >>

Guess it all boils down to the individuals you've been privileged to know.
One of my strategies when I was younger and fitter and more competitive was
to stay on and trot in virtually all terrain that others got off and led--and
on Arabs.  I likewise don't like and don't use borium.  But then my
background was chasing cows in the central Idaho mountains, often at
breakneck speed in terrain that would make most endurance riders cringe--and
our Arab crosses (and later our purebreds) were SUCH an improvement over our
other horses.  We only had one other horse that could hold a candle to
them--and she was a very well-built 15/16 TB mare that was the product of
breeding up via the old Remount program.  My husband calls our Arabs "clever"
horses because they seem to always have a foot where they need one, and can
maneuver the worst terrain at speed and make it seem like play.

Yes, I've seen some pretty klutzy Arabs--and in my book they are culls.  A
horse that cannot keep its footing is a danger to ride, regardless of the
breed.  And again, good ones occur in every breed.  You are blessed with a
good TWH--and more power to her.  But to make generalizations about Arabs
that they are less than sure-footed AS A BREED is not very accurate.

It is also not accurate to blame gaitedness per se for lack of agility--NO
gait (not even the "regulars" of walk, trot, or canter) are executed in a
pure fashion on bad terrain.  What matters is the athletic ability to adapt
whatever the gait to the terrain at hand.  In fact, I've found that a great
many of the VERY agile Arabs I've ridden have a tendency to break into some
version of a 4-beat gait (call it amble or singlefoot) to negotiate bad
terrain--it's like having some sort of Posi-Trac all-wheel drive in which the
reflex sequence that causes gaits can be disrupted to make each leg
independent to go wherever it has to go.  This ability seems to be
independent of a horse's breed or preferred gait--kinda like you can get 4WD
in different makes, but if you ain't got it, you ain't got it, no matter WHAT
the make!  Quite frankly, I think the Arabs that have been so highly selected
for a very pure "action" trot tend to lose some of this, as likely do some of
the gaited horses where there has been far too much selection for an
extremeness of gait rather than overall athletic ability.  The original
gaited horses may well have been utilized in flatter areas of the country,
but the ones being used for actual field work were NOT being ridden in laser
planed fields or in freshly smoothed and dragged arenas--rather they went
where the roads and paths went, and did what they had to do.  Once again, you
get down to the concept that in order to have good endurance horses, one
needs to choose for the traits that many of our breeds had back in their
WORKING days rather than the extremes that have been bred for the show world
in later years.

Heidi