Re: RC: Dogs at RIDES... small child attacked at OD 100

Ride management was not yet present when we arrived.  Hardly anyone there.  And,
just about everyone else's dogs were lose all the rest of the weekend.

Many of our rides just ask that the owners control them and do not REQUIRE than
to be on leashes.  Most of the dogs brought to rides get along just fine and
rarely, if ever, is there a problem.

And, many people don't understand that dogs, when tied in particular, to a
trailer or truck (or whatever) deem that space to be theirs to protect.  Often I
have seen dogs (one of mine included) that are far MORE aggressive than when
lose.

I respect ANY dog, but particularly when tied to someone else's rig. For
centuries dogs have been bred as man's protector and it is ignorant of any human
to expect a dog to act other than what man has bred him for.  Granted, some
breeds are more aggressive than others and some just plain wimps.  Sometimes one
cannot tell by looking, so I assume that EVERY dog is a potential aggressor and
show them the back of my hand to first sniff before I offer it as a patting
tool.

Responsible owners train and control their dogs and pick up after them. But even
the most responsible owner cannot control how a dog will react in every
situation.  I just hate to see the majority of good owners and dogs penalized
for the few that are inconsiderate and thoughtless.

Teddy

--
Teddy Lancaster
American Endurance Ride Conference # 139422

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak;
Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

-- Winston Churchill