RE: Re: Breeds

Rhonda - Well said, I think you covered all the bases.  Beau and Beamer's
sire, Joust, had charged Mike Neal at the Scottsdale show and I'm sure that
Joust now has a "reputation."  He's a very smart horse and he simply cannot
be pushed.  With the right handler/rider he's a wonderful horse.  I'm not
saying that Mike Neal was abusive.  Joust probably just had enough "halter"
for the day, and saw no more use for it!

The mares also have a lot to do with disposition.  Beau's dam is totally
mellow and is one of those that kids can crawl all over her.  Beau tends to
be like that, but has his sire's aggressiveness in performance.  Beamer's
dam I didn't know, but she was the most unpopular horse on the ranch for the
duration of her breedlease.  Beamer is extremely smart and a prima donna.
She's likable, but it has to be on her terms, otherwise she fights and
pouts.

And a breeder I know is no longer linebreeding a certain line because of
disposition issues.  These horses don't bond well with people and take many
times as long to train to do basic stuff.  But this is after breeding
several babies that way!

Kathy