Re: RC: Energy expenditure

 I firmly believe that the hour hold >was
>critical to the horses and one of the reasons that the horses did
as>well as they did in those conditions.

Thanks you dear, that was *my* idea. >preen<

On the subject of resting pulses.  Here's a comparison of 3 horses I
competed on.

Isaiah:  28bpm slow horse, couldn't care less about winning, middle of
the pack.

Merlyn:  32bpm best recovering horse I have ever met.  Did every loop of
the Alabama 50 faster than the one before, and would be 60 by the time we
could walk him into the check. Outrecovered Desert Ballad by 2 min. at
the last check, the same year he won the ROC (Merl's 3rd 50 ever).

Kaboot: 36? Who know, just walking up to him raises his pulse.  Very
seldom vets in at a ride below 40. Good recoveries. Good top 10 horse.

I really never saw a noticable improvement in their resting pulses as
they became fit.

Angie

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.