Energy expenditure

I subscribe to a daily health tip from RealAge - sometimes the tips are very interesting.  Todays is below.  My question is if this "rest between long periods of exercise" would apply to horse conditioning - and endurance races - as well as humans.  I'm wondering if this means that longer holds at vet checks would potentially use up more energy than shorter?  Or horses that are going slower might use more energy than horses going faster sometimes?  Arre these just some more crazy thoughts of mine or is there some truth to this? Lif

For years, people believed that a speedier weight-lifting workout meant a more effective workout. Sounds logical enough. But, in fact, a study found that people who rested for 60 seconds between sets during a weight-lifting routine incinerated more calories than the people who took a mere 20-second breather. Yes, those who put their weight-pumping on pause longer did take more time to complete their workout--but that's the very reason they burned more calories. Researchers believe your body expends more energy when it's recovering from longer periods of exercise. http://www.realage.com/framesets/fs_news.asp?page=send2friend.asp&cat=fitness&tip=1439&id=tod

Lif & Paul Strand
  STRAND ENTERPRISES fasterhorses.com
providing you with alternatives for your life
Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
fax: (561) 594-4609