Re: RC: Returning Junior Rider

guest@endurance.net writes:

<< The reason I left endurance was purely financial.  It was hard to get to
 all of the places to condition, I couldn't afford a horse,
 a saddle, a vet bill, the shoing, etc., especially when making
 minimum wage and working part time in college.

 I returned to endurance in 1998, thanks to the help and
 mentorship of Jessica Tuteur, who offered to let me ride her
 horses until I could re-accumulate all of the must-have items
 needed for successful endurance. >>

This has pretty much been the scenario I've seen with most junior riders over
the years--yes, they come back, but usually after a break as they go off to
college and often get careers and families started as well.  Money is the big
factor--most kids fresh away from home simply don't have the resources to
continue, unless they are still getting some assistance from either mom and
dad or a mentor to continue in the sport.

So yes, the juniors often DO come back, but I also have to agree with those
who have stated that this is NOT the main source of riders for our sport.  A
great many people come to endurance with little or no horse background at
all, often finally acquiring the dream of having a horse, and since this
sport offers "something for everyone" from LD's (and sometimes even shorter
"intro" rides) on up to world competition, as well as friendly mentoring, a
great many beginners are attracted to it.  The stereotypical "newbie" is
female, 35-40, with kids finally old enough to find the peanut butter jar on
their own, and careers and family finances finally stable enough to support a
hobby.  That, not the junior rider, is our primary "source" of new talent,
and I've seen people go clear from this level right on up to the top of the
competitive ladder, if they happen to be competitive sorts and driven to
learn and excel.  A great many are quite content to find their level without
going that far, too--and one of the beauties of this sport is that that is
just fine as well.

Heidi