Re: RC: Ice water

If cold is left on for more than 20 minutes, there is
a blood vessel rebound effect.  You go from
restricting blood flow to the area and decreasing
edema to opening the blood vessels and promoting
edema.

Also, you can cause tissue burns from extreme cold
left on for too long.  I suspect the "trailer ride
home" ice packs have turned to water.  Those horses
probably got zero benefit and <possibly> some
increased edema instead.

Linda
--- Susan Willis <smw@sos.net> wrote:
> I was taught
> how to 'ice' legs we were told never leave the ice
> on longer than 10 minutes.......doing so can
> result in permanent tissue damage. So we used a
> rotation - 10 minutes of cold water/ice, then 5 or
> 10 off.....up to an hour at a time like that.
<SNIP>I know we have Vets and Nurses on this list