Re: RC: Ice water

In a message dated 6/8/00 9:21:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, smw@sos.net
writes:

<< t really makes me wonder when I hear of some
 individuals wrapping and leaving wraps on for
 45min - hour or for their entire drive home over a
 period of several hours. Are these people
 incredibly lucky or was I schooled by a worry
 wort? I know we have Vets and Nurses on this list
 - is there a valid concern of tissue damage?

When tissue gets down to about 15C, you get what they call a Hunter
Reaction--blood vessels dilate in order to prevent the tissue from freezing.
And this makes the icing worthless--you're trying to constrict blood vessels
with ice. The science says that this takes about 25 to 30 minutes, with the
best of icing applications.

ti