Re: RC: mare won't take care of herself

Lif, sorry I gave the impression this is my conditioning regimen.  It's not
at all.  I decided not to compete this mare, this is just the riding I'm
doing for pleasure.  Misty Moon is 14 yrs old, and had five years of LSD
before I ever even knew about endurance.  We rode at least five days a week,
mostly walk and trot.  Then when I started conditioning for LD in '96, I
added more trot and some galloping.  She was already pretty fit as far as
bone, tendon, and muscle and I just added aerobic conditioning.  In 96 we
never went fast, mostly just completed, with a 4/12 hr 25 at the end of the
season.  She did four 25's in 96, then I spent 97 recovering from my lack of
riding skills.  (Two surgeries for herniated cervical disks).  I still rode
almost as much as ever, just didn't compete--I was riding again before the
cervical collar was off.  In 98 we did a 30 and 3 25's and started getting up
some speed. We top10ed at all the 25's.  Last year circumstances and riding
two horses kept me from competing except one ride at the beginning of the
season and one at the end.  I don't think the problem is the miles I was
riding, as much as the fact that she has never eaten or drunk well at rides.
If she can see a horse anywhere ahead, she thinks she has to pass it, and
bounces up and down if I try to hold her back.  I have no intention of ever
taking this horse on 50's as it wouldprobably kill her.  I would just like to
get her to the point of eating and drinking and not fretting enough that I
can do 25s on her for completions.  I just love to endurance ride, the whole
atmosphere and the people and everything.  I feel like I'm severely missing
out every weekend I have to stay home because I don't have a horse to ride.
The big question is--with Misty Moon getting so excited (and she truly does
seem to love to go) is it fair to her to try to compete on her.  (I don't
mean compete to win, I mean go to rides at all)  I guess I didn't explain
myself very well.   jeri