Re: RC: Re: Fw: Fwd: RC: Ride Meals, Entry Fees and LD BC

Although a meal after the ride is nice, I think that it should be left up to the RM as to what they feel like they can handle and be grateful for whatever they do.  Our rides and trails are becoming scarcer and we should be thankful that someone out there cares enough for this sport to go through the hassle of just putting a ride on.

The cost of the rides, I believe what we have been doing in Mississippi for several years is fair.  We have been charging $1.00 per mile plus $10.00.  I haven't been putting on rides in the last 3 years so this may be priced too low by today's standards.  Sure you have to have vets there for the LD's but not for as long as time or as many vet checks as you do your long distance races.  Why do you give the same awards?  What do you give as awards?  Maybe that is where your adjustments need to be made.  Would the LD riders want smaller awards or higher entry fees?

BC for LD?  I have to agree with Maggie.  They are people who for a variety of reasons that cannot ride any distance other than LD.  Why not give them the recognition they deserve?  Why should they not receive the same benefits that the long distance riders do, especially if they are paying the same or more per mile?  Besides I believe BC will eventually get the idea over to get your horse over the finish line in the Best Condition possible, not in the fastest time.  Besides, I was under the understanding that it was the first horse down, not the first horse over the finish line in LD that won.

Nan
On Tue, 06 June 2000, "Maggie Mieske" wrote:

> Just another reminder that many LD riders are folks who CAN'T ride 50s.
> For whatever reason they can't, they deserve some recognition and respect,
> too.  My sister, who will never be able to do a 50, deserves a medal in my
> book for doing 25s.  She never thought she'd be able to ride again.  Why
> shouldn't she feel proud of herself, her horse and their accomplishments?
> Someday that may be all some of us may be able to do.  Why can't we just
> ride and have FUN instead of bringing up the LD wars again?  There's room
> for ALL of us in AERC and endurance!!
>

> Maggie Mieske
> Mieske's Silver Lining
> 10601 S. Richards Rd.
> McBain, Michigan 49657
> http://www.netonecom.net/~mmieske
> mmieske@netonecom.net

Why pay when you don't have to? Get AltaVista Free Internet Access now!
http://jump.altavista.com/freeaccess4.go