Re: RC: alone?

> Is my thinking correct on this or is there a
> better way to build her willingness & confidence up about going out alone??

I'm no endurance or training diva, but I have plenty of experience riding
alone, because I've always boarded at barns where everyone else thinks 5
miles at a jog is a hard ride. <g> So I will tell you what I have decided
is the most important factor in getting a horse to go out on the trail
with you comfortably, without other horses along -- he has to trust and
respect you as much as he does another horse.  It sounds kinda silly, but
really, I think it's a matter of developing a relationship with the horse,
to the point that he no longer feels alone on the trail when he's with
_you_!

I think it's important to spend time on the ground with your horse, so
that he learns to think of you as a companion.  I don't just "do
groundwork" with my guy (tho I am a big fan of the Parelli methods), I
also spend a lot of time handgrazing him, or just walking out into the
pasture to hug him or feed him a treat.  You also have to spend hours in
the saddle so he learns to trust your directions.  It takes time.  I have
a horse now that I can ride anywhere, anytime, all by himself, and I never
worry about how he'll act, because I pretty much know exactly how he'll
act in most circumstances, because I've put in the time with him.  And I
know that he'll go wherever I tell him, whether we're riding alone or
whether we are with two young ninny horses that are afraid of squirrels.
<g> But I do believe that time on the ground is important too, not just
"wet saddle blankets."

Just my two cents' worth :)

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL