RC: Shoes & Spurs

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
bpeck@together.net
Barb Peck

I ride in spurs from time to time, mostly when my horse
stops listening to me... which he mostly does when we ride
in nice deep grass fields before the hay's in.
I also switch off between boots (Ropers) and running sneakers.

I buy the cheapest spurs I can find (about $10.00) (english
 blunt end) because you can bend them into any shape you
 want pretty easily... like to fit a sneaker perfectly if you
prefer them low.... or to fit anywhere you want higher up
over half chaps if you prefer them above the ankle.

I wear them just above the ankle over 1/2 chaps cause if
 they're too low on a sneaker, and there's not a little tab
on the back of the  sneaker to hold them up,
they can flip down under your heel if your on foot walking
in deep grass.

Good guality spurs are too hard to bend.. plus I hate
spending alot of money, then distorting the thing in a vice.

For spur straps, I use nylon-strap or skinny biothane
and sew velcro on instead of buckles. Easy on & off.

Barb