Re: alone?

Hi Michelle:

I had the same problem with my new horse last year.  I had her about a month
before I took her out by herself.  I ponied her several times, then rode her
with a few friends.  She wasn't trained to go in a trailer so I couldn't do
a short trailer ride and then ride the horse.

I took the bull by the horns so to speak, and saddled her up and started
down the driveway.  We went about 20 feet (the driveway is really long,
about 500 ') and Saffy realized what my intentions were.  she stopped and
refused to move.  I urged her forward with my legs, spurs and voice and
body.  No go.  she is a very determined horse.  I tried circles to get
forward movement.  the most I could get was one step forward and that was
it.  She started backing up towards the barn and then I thought, fine if she
wants to move backwards, she can go backwards, but in the direction I want
to go.  We started backing down the driveway.  went a short ways, i let her
think for  a minute and then i turned her forwards, and offered her to walk
up the driveway.  we repeated the back up the driveway, turn forward ask for
forward movement aobut 5 times before she agreed with me that it was better
to walk up the driveway than back up the driveway.  I praised her whenever
she gave forward movement.  She did pause many times but only briefly and
then went forward when I asked. We only did about 3/4 mile short loop.  The
good thing was she had been thru the same trails before and as soon as she
realized she was headed home already she was a happy camper.  It wasn't a
fun ride for me, but it was great to get started and every ride after that
she just got better and better.  within a few months she would happily head
out the driveway not even thinking about her pasture buddies.

The thing I always try to remember is (and I can't remember who said it
first) make the right thing easy and the wrong thing difficult.

Best of luck, you will get thru it.

Sarah McIntosh & Saffy
Abbotsford, BC