Re: RC: Re: Re: Fwd: RC: meals at rides

At 08:49 AM 6/6/00 -0700, kristine hammond wrote:
>By the time you consider
>the likes and dislikes of approximately 75 guests at dinner and try to
>accomadiate each individuals likes and dislikes in a camp setting I feel you
>have approached MISSION IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

True - you'll never make everyone happy.

>I feel sorry for the ride managers
>who are now asked to provide a varied menu, one for meat eaters and one for
>vegetarians.

I've never known anyone who was strictly a meat-eater (even my cat). You
don't in general need 2 completely different menus.  What you do need is to
have enough vegetables to still have a meal if you take away the meat.
This usually makes even the meat eaters happy, too - they get more variety
(e.g., one likes broccoli, the other doesn't).

Actually, I'm not even asking that ride managers even try to feed me.  It
would be nice if they do, but all I'm asking is to tell me in advance what
to expect.  Add one more line to the ride announcement.  Tell me whether
there will or will not be a meal provided, and whether or not vegetarians
are provided for.  I really don't think telling me what to expect is very
burdensome.

>Then they must keep track of you paid for dinner, and who did
>not pay for dinner.

Some rides do that anyway - they just give you a little ticket, and that's
how they know if you paid for your crew to eat. I don't really even care
about the money - if it is too complicated to deal with amongst getting
water, vets, (endless list of hassles), etc, then don't worry about it.
Just tell me what you're going to do.

>And of course consider all the other things that ride
>management must consider.  I am not a great cook, and I for one am grateful
>for any meal offered after I ride 50 miles.

I just like to be able to plan.  If I know I won't get fed, but my wife
will, then I shop for something just for me.  If I know there is no meal at
all, then I shop for a meal for everyone with me. If I know we're all
getting fed, then I don't need to bring an extra meal.  If it is pot luck,
then I shop differently for that.  I just want to know in advance what to
expect - we don't need to make this a huge argument (though this _is_
ridecamp, so...).

I'm mostly happy that I have rides to go to, and nice trails, good vets,
and a good ridecamp are much, much more important.  All I ask is let me
know how meals are going to be handled.

David LeBlanc
dleblanc@mindspring.com