Re: Re: info on arabs types

----- Original Message -----
From: Deanna German <dgerman@earthlink.net>> I admit I don't "get" what the
big deal is about Al Khamsa. I went to their > site and from what I was able
to gather, it's just a classification of > horses directly descended from
certain desert bred horses. Someone, please > enlighten me

I don't know if there is much to 'get', it is a matter of personal
preference.

The Al Khamsa designation is based on a level of documentation of the
horse's origin.  the official definition is "...Bedouin Arabians, defined as
those that can be reasonably assumed to be descended entirely from horses
bred in the Arabian desert by Bedouin tribes."

Most AHR registered Arabs trace, at some point, to a horse/horses that has
questionable, conflicting, or missing documentation.  There are also cases
of documented non-Arab blood in AHR registered horses. In many cases, it is
a miniscule percent and an insignificant point.  However, it is important to
some people, and that is why the AK horses have been identified as a group.

Not only I am very proud of my horses heritage (as every horse owner should
be) but I am having an absolute blast researching their pedigrees and
histories... Tons of fun, not dry and dusty at all. <G> You can see
SHADOWFAX's pedigree, back to the tribal sources,  here
http://www.htcomp.net/huffman/bloodlinegif.htm

Becky Huffman
Huffman's Arabians ~ The Original Series ~
http://www.htcomp.net/Huffman/