Re: Bad Backs/Chronic Pain (Riders with...)

>I'm doing some research to find out what riders with chronic pain or
>injuries do to keep riding. Need feedback on what (besides lots of
>painkillers) works for you—exercise (what type), stretching, physical
>therapy, chiropractic, massage, Feldenkrais, Pilates, whatever you do. Can
>you REPLY ALL, so I'm sure to get it?
>
>Bonnie in AZ

Lots of stretching after a good warm-up...YOGA...good equipment, good shoes,
etc....changing position periodically (dismount and walk or stretch while I
still can ;-))...massage (Steve's excellent at this)...regular exercise of
some
kind (riding, walking, swimming, or weight lifting), and an excellent
chiropractor, who's usual greeting comment to me is "What did you do THIS
time???"

And, of course, the periodic requisite handful of painkillers. ;-)

I've had several injuries over the years in various sports...and I've found
that the body is never quite the same again after recovery from the injury.  I
can function fairly well if I keep up with the exercises and stretching.
(Now...to ditch that extra 30 pounds acquired during last years' major
injury!
That would probably be the best addition to my program but, as many of us
know,
it's much easier said than done. ;-))  My strength is coming back and I can
now
jog along with the horse for a couple of minutes before I start "throwing" my
left leg forward to keep moving.

All things considered, the most important things that I need to consistently
pay attention to (especially as I get older) are flexibility and overall
muscle
strengthening.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com