RE: Trail Courtesy

>I was really surprised that the horses don't seem to freak out too much.  By
>the time we get to the shooting range, all the horses are still is in 'RACE"
>mode and would rather move on than waste time having a fit at the shooting
>range.  I personally think it's good training towards "bomb-proofing" a
>horse.

For some good "bomb-proofing" come to my part of the countryside!  I live
on the reservation (very pretty one <g>) where fireworks are legal.
Starting in June they start popping...and the 4th of July here sounds like
a war zone with everything from whistling, swirling firecrackers to M80s
exploding and vibrating the ground!!  The horses get an extra meal and a
extra bit of attention that night.  (I'm always nervous, tho...and pray for
rain. <g>)  Blaze and Blue (born in this barn 13 years ago) act as if it's
the best flick in town...grab a mouthful of hay and run to the paddock door
to watch.  A couple of them stand outside (those who are not as food
oriented as Blaze and Blue ;-)) with their muzzles pointed to the sky.
Only one horse in 16 years have I had to tranquilize -- there's nothing
quite like 17.2h in continuous, forward trot mode for hours on end (and
that was with max doses of Ace...and about the only time of the year that
he would have gotten a great score on being forward! ;-))  Strange popping
noises don't faze these barn occupants to much degree at all.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.