RE: ouchies and electrolytes

My horse had a terrible gash - right thru the skin so you can see the muscle
fascia  - above his knee about three inches long.  It was too late to
stitch - I found it and the wound was pretty clotted by then.  I didn't call
the vet but I gently washed it out with plain water and applied blue-cote
(namebrand?).  I would wash the wound and apply the blue cote one day and
nitrofurazone the next.  Took awhile to heal.  I asked a vet who happened to
be at the boarding facility to take a quick look at the wound.  He said it
wasn't infected and as long as I can keep the infection at bay, I was doing
okay.  He also said that a vet could take a sliver off of the healing edges
and stitch those edges together to possibly make it  heal quicker.  I'm not
a vet and I personally wouldn't do any stitching myself - I would have the
vet come out to do it, but I think you should have it done within a few
hours and not wait if you are going to do it.

I have also seen a stallion be nursed from a breeding kick wound on the top
of the knee about 3 inches in diameter.  The wound was kept clean and it did
heal without having the vet come and stich it.  But there is nothing wrong
with calling the vet to make sure that you are doing the right thing.  I
have had telephone consultations with the vets just for my own worry level,
and sometimes we could make decisions over the phone if things are not too
serious, and sometimes they say they should come take care of it.

I, myself, had a gash in my leg that I wish I had gotten stiched!  I still
scratch a hole open at night in that spot when I sleep.

Kathy