Re: RC: ouchies and electrolytes

In a message dated 5/30/00 4:44:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Dakoiah@aol.com
writes:

<< In the meantime, I cleaned it out with water and betadine, smeared
 fly ointment around it, sprayed with enough fly spray to drown in, and put
 some antibiotic ointment on it.  Let me know what you all think.... >>

If you've done all that, it is now too late to stitch.  You've already caused
a tissue reaction with the betadine and antibiotic ointment which will
preclude what is called "first intention healing"--which is the whole point
of stitching in the first place.  So you're now pretty much committed to
allowing the wound to granulate in, unless you want to have the vet out to
trim the wound back to fresh tissue.  For future reference, if you feel the
wound should be stitched, DON'T use anything in it except something like
saline to clean it out--then you don't cause tissue changes and the suturing
has a reasonable chance of first-intention closure.  Also, suturing is best
accomplished within the first 6 hours, and best not done at all after 24
hours, unless the wound is trimmed.

Heidi