Re: saddles

> This might sound crazy,,but has anyone ridden/competed in
> a McClellen saddle,,the old cavalry saddle? its My fave.
> saddle for just riding hills etc. I'm just learning about
> endurance so forgive my lack of knowledge,,,,Jeff

Jeff,
I have seen several old Macs out on the trail, including my first husband's.
As his young horse filled out, however, the saddle was a bit too narrow for
Jonesie, so he went to a Wintec. McClellens seem to work just fine as long
as they fit. That can be a problem, though, since this is a saddle designed
for half-starved war horses of another era. Horses of a century ago were
naturally narrower and so were the saddles. I used to ride sidesaddle. The
same problem. Old narrow saddles, young wide horse.
As long as it fits, more power to you! Good luck!

Maggie Fleming
Under a Shooting Star Farm
Bubba--I have a scar from my sidesaddle
Secret--Not me!