road courtesy

>At 04:02 PM 5/29/00 -0700, Bob wrote:
>
>>I'd like some input about what to do with the motorcycle guy who speeds up
>>on the dirt road when approaching just to razz the horse and rider
>>
>Lif wrote: Hmmm - sounds like assault with intent to do bodily harm
>to me (no lawyer, me, just a troublemaker).  Get the license plate
>number?  Description of the biker?  With that, go ahead and see what
>happens when you report the incident as an "attack".

I'm with Lif.

I recently had a mishap (completely intentional on his part) with a
teenager and his car.  I had just crossed a bridge that has no guard
rails (a rural country road) when I heard the guy coming.  I got off
the road into the entrance of a logging trail to wait for him to
pass.  He crossed the road toward us and gunned the engine, spraying
us with gravel.  My typically calm mare completely lost it and took
off bucking until I finally departed company.

To make a long story as short as possible, I ended up in the
hospital, my husband talked to the kid and his family, the kid was
very apologetic, the parents took away his keys and I was content to
leave it at that, hoping he'd learned a lesson.  A few days later the
parents gave him his keys back and he continued to drive like a
maniac.  I was also told he was bragging about spooking some girl's
horse and sending her to the hospital.  He had not learned anything
except it's a cool story to tell all your friends.  After some
prompting I called the police who actually gave him a lecture and a
ticket!  It was also explained to him that any other incidences like
this and it's a *felony*.

I was riding my husbands VERY calm, road safe gelding this past
weekend when I was passed by this individual three times and EACH
time he slowed to a crawl as he passed.

I was very reluctant to bring in the police since I didn't want any
hard feelings with people I see every day but I'd much rather he
receive a stiff warning and reprimand (and learn from it) than to end
up in the hospital again.

Now if I can just get the courage to get back on my own horse.
Joan (walking her up and down the road is getting old but at least
I'm getting in shape :-} )