Concern

To All Interested Parties:

I am not sure how rumor and misinformation occurs, but there is no doubt
that is the case with the recent concern over AERC and it's perceived
interest/support of our International Committee.   I will assume that two
occurences are at the core of this issue  and try to explain what is
going on.

1st) The May President's message had two paragraphs about AERC
International (I attached them at the end of this letter).  I think they
address valid points and may have the POSITIVE affect of doing something
about one of the glaring faults of AERC International:
VERY POOR PUBLIC MARKETING AND PROMOTION, ie, the AERC membership either
does not understand or does not see the importance of belonging to AERC
International and how that decision can impact opinions.  If our general
AERC membership actually reads my articles, they will realize that
"numbers are what count", and they will make a statement about their
interest in International seen thru a large increase in International
Membership via the $10.00 fee.  I encourage and support that show of
support!  I have often mentioned the Poor Self Marketing/Promotion of
International to both Tony Benedetti and Lori Stewart in previous
conversations.

2nd) Recent research by a Board member raises a few questions on the
structure and methodology of AERC International.  Based on those
questions, I will be appointing an ad hoc committee to further research
and review both the history and process that has brought AERC
International to its current position.  I suspect that much of this
committee's work will validate AERC International's history and
structure.  However, it may be that some items of discrepancy as it
relates to AERC and the AERC general membership may be found.  This is
not an attempt to eliminate, destroy, or violate the integrity of the
International Committee.  Although the International Committee deals with
outside entities such as USET, AHSA, and FEI as part of its function, it
is still  an AERC Committee representing AERC and the AERC membership. In
essence, it should be no different than other AERC Committees.
Withstanding scrutiny from a fair review is the hallmark of strength.  It
is my opinion that the end result will be a stronger and larger AERC
International Committee.  The Ad Hoc Review Committee must be approved by
the AERC Board and their findings go to the AERC Board for final
determination.

I hope this answers some of your concerns.

Randy Eiland

excerpt from May President's Message:

"One of the most current topics being bandied about by the Board - Where
does AERC
International fit in with AERC and how should it be viewed and treated?
Some on the
Board feel that only 275 people out of our entire AERC membership have an
interest in
International.  This number comes from adding up the total amount
collected from the $10.00 International Membership Fee ($2,750.00).
But, does this truly represent the AERC membership's interest in
International endurance riding?  Does this mean that only those AERC
members who pay the $10.00 fee (275 people) are truly interested in
International?  Could it be that many more AERC members are interested in
International - but not to the point they wish to contribute financially
to its well being?  Is it possible that the AERC membership simply
doesn't understand how International works nor the meaning of the $10.00
International Membership Fee?  I don't know the answer, and I suspect
very few can answer that question with confidence and be able to back it
up with facts.

However, over the upcoming year I think we will have a chance to find an
answer to the above questions.  The Feb/March issue of EN has a full page
color ad on page 31 titled, Federation Equestre' International that
compares the FEI Code of Conduct with AERC's purpose. The ad is paid for
by The Dubai Equine Hospital on behalf of the United Arab Emirates and
was arranged by Jim Baldwin, DVM.   I understand it will be running
monthly for the next year.  I  am in favor of this advertising because
the purpose of an advertising campaign is to raise the public's level of
interest and generate participation.  If, in fact, our AERC membership
truly has a greater level of interest in International than the 275
members who paid the $10.00 fee, these ads should help promote greater
participation from the AERC general membership.  However, if the AERC
membership participation in International remains about the same, the
Board may have to
 re examine our financial support of International.  In any event, these
paid ads will help
quantify the level of International interest from our membership. "