Re: RC: International Rides/Realism

In a message dated 5/20/00 3:25:59 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
betndez@budget.net writes:

<< However, I cannot imagine that any AERC member could fail to feel a thrill
of pride when the U. S. brings home the gold.

    I respectfully submit that horses and riders bring home the gold.  The
"U.S." little knows, or cares, about endurance riding.  And on that note,
"Nationalizing" of endurance riding is something some countries are really
striving to attain....WHY?  As a country, I doubt that we will ever be able
to throw the money at the "sport" that some countries can, but does that mean
our pursuit of excelling is less valid? (Serious question here).  Why does
human endeavor (and by extension, our horses') always have to lead down THAT
path?  Why can't the ENDEAVOR and its accomplishment be the focus? (Please,
I'm not naive here, just a bit altruistic, I guess.)
    That said, how do we get them to care?
    "Exposure, exposure" I keep hearing.
    Careful for that which we wish, we might get it.
    Then, what get exposed...
     The owner/rider who raises, trains and campaigns their horse year after
year?  (I wish)
    The Big FEI Ride with 75 starters and 18 finishers? (I hope not)
      (...on THAT note, I thought it interesting that Maryanne indicated that
6 of the finishers were FIRST TIME riders from Egypt.   I guess "To Finish Is
To Win"....maybe.)

      Frank.