RC: Re: Downhill

Hi Trish -
    They do both in videos I have of mustangs in the wild (and they are not being terrorized by helicopters either).  My Spanish Mustang (not BLM, not feral for 4 generations) until recently lived on a steep hill with 10 other horses, mostly QH and a few Arabs.  He was one of the few who could either trot or canter down that hill, but I don't think it's because of his breeding, he is just built to be able to get his butt under him.  (He also made a mistake once in choosing a rolling spot and according to friends who happened to see it, rolled down the hill!)  Some of the horses in that pasture could hardly walk down the hill and some of the worst of those were arabs with pelvises tilted so their hindend thrust is out behind them, not underneath).
Laney
Trishmare@aol.com wrote:
Do feral horses canter or trot when going downhill?  Anyone know?

Trish & pretty David
in Michigan, where it snowed hard last night, and my Blazer's 4-Wheel drive
is refusing to engage this morning.  (Maybe not enough dressage?<g>)