RC: Re: carbs and heart rate

At 01:15 AM 01/15/2000 -0500, Trailrite@aol.com wrote:
>     Our horse's get about 2lbs grain per day.  They get other stuff, beet
>pulp, etc. but as the days & miles go by we increase it from there.  Lets
>just say by the 5th day it could be possible that the horses consume about 10
>-12lbs of grain in a day.   Since we don't feed a lot of grain on a day to
>day feeding program, I think that is a large amount.  Do you?  What do you
>do?  How much grain.

....well, right now they are getting none. (they are on diets, darn
metabolisms have turned them into blimps....)  If I am working them,
they'll get a cup a day and maybe up to 2 pounds during a ride (not
actually during--before and after).  On a multiday both horses have eaten
as much as 4 pounds a day total between LMF and complete advantage.  I've
never had them eat 10 pounds in one day before though, I don't think they
would (and they've had it offered).  They just eat hay.....huge amounts of
hay.

>P.S.  Katie did 120 miles she did in Dec 4th & 5th 1999, but that goes to the
>Y2,000 points. 1400 miles was a round figure for the year not the actual
>figure.

I didn't know if something might have been figured incorrectly.  I had my
results figured wrong at least twice last season so if it could happen to
me, why not you......

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV