RC: Fw: RC: Uphill and Down.. in simple terms

In a message dated 1/14/00 3:51:25 PM Pacific Standard Time, bass@bigsky.net
writes:

<< > > If a horse is ridden down hill
 > > > and is not in condition to do it,
 > > > he'll be sore in the front end some where
 > > > from braking his mass with the front end.
 > > > (sometimes in the chest muscles just
 > > > between the fore-legs.) >>

I must have missed Barb's post, but this really isn't what we see clinically.
 Instead, we see horses that are sore in the hind legs--semimembranosus and
semitendinosus--and in the loins.  Just as a horse stops best in an arena by
dropping his rear, driving his hind feet up underneath himself, and shifting
his weight to his hind legs, so likewise he brakes with the rear going
downhill.  Even in a flat arena, horses that brake with their front legs are
awkward and uncoordinated--any tendency to brake in the front is even more
awkward going downhill.

Heidi