RC: slant load vs straight load

Ok Ridecampers, what's your collective wisdom on the virtues of a 2 horse
gooseneck slant vs a 2 horse gooseneck straight load?  Now that I've sold my
old 2 horse trailer (with ramp) I'm shopping for a new trailer that will give
me some more storage.  The straight load has more room (length, height, &
width) for the horses, it's the type of loading my horse is accustomed to,
and I can keep a couple of bales of hay dry on the trailer in front under the
horses' noses.  I've heard the slant load is easier traveling for the horses
(altho I think Tempo will like the rubber matting after travelling on a wood
floor), but the space for the horses is smaller, and I guess you have to tie
& untie the horse from the window -- no room to get on the trailer with the
2nd horse, unless you take down the little rear tack area, which would be a
pain.  There wouldn't be room to store any hay if loaded with 2 horses.  The
slant load is a backup - step down.  Tempo is used to an unloading ramp going
forward off the front, but he has learned to back off my friend's straight
load with ramp.  He was quite nervous the first time he had to back off the
trailer (having learned to unload with an unloading front ramp) and was
actually trembling as he got off, but took it slowly & carefully, not wanting
to stay on if his buddy had gotten off.  On subsequent trips he backed off
much more confidently.  While I'm concerned about is his reaction to backing
off a step-down, but I can avoid that potential problem by adding a ramp.
I will also have to confess that I trained Tempo like I trained his mom ---
to follow me on the trailer, which I guess is a no - no.  This is what
concerns me about the tight space on the slant load, esp with the 2nd stall
(esp as we often take his dam on trips & she loads the same way he does ---
following someone on).  They are both good loaders (we take it nice & easy &
non-chalantly), but I don't like the idea of not having the easy escape as
you do on the straight load (with escape doors on either side & a chest bar
that can be lowered for loading).  And then to make it interesting, Tempo is
a stallion & has trailered with other horses, but it does add an extra
element of risk when loading.
Thanks for any input!!!!!

Nancy & Tempo (I like the idea of the rubber mats, but the step down?????)
Md