RC: Weight Division Points

At 07:19 PM 01/11/2000 -0800, Steph Teeter wrote:
 >Now: Weight Division points are based upon placement of riders within
 >their weight division. i.e. the first middleweight rider gets maximum bonus
 >points.  But, bonus points for weight divisions are based upon the number
 >of Overall starters, not the number of starters in each weight division.
 >If 11 overall riders start, the first middle weight rider receives 150
 >points (maximum bonus ) points regardless of the number of middlewight
 >starters.  This person may be the only middleweight in the race and may
 >finish
 >last overall, but they still get 150 points.

As a rider in one of the larger regions, the point system is definitely not
equitable.  It benefits those who are doing rides with a smaller number of
entries, and it benefits those that are able to travel out of the region to
ride rides that have a smaller number of entries, and also less entries in
their particular weight division.

It also penalizes 100 mile horses in the West region.  Last year we had a
total of 4 (or 5?) one day 100's in this region.  They all had a large
number of
entries, I believe 40 or so was probably the smallest 100 and the largest
being Tevis, with 225 or so.  A horse can do a ride in another region and
complete in last place and because 11 start and 8 finish they get not only
top ten points (@ 1.5x) but obviously are high up in their weight
division.  A horse can complete the Tevis in 20th place, beating out 200
other horses and only get a maximum of 150 points overall and probably half
as many weight division points.  I have completed at least one 100 in the
top ten and been 5th in my weight division.  I could have gone to another
region, ridden slower on a much easier trail coming in last and gotten
DOUBLE the points for my weight division (not to mention more overall
points).  The system for 100 mile horses is definitely not equitable, and I
think that each region should recognize it's 100 mile horses - you cannot
fairly recognize the horses the way the system is now when the # of entries
(combined with the 1.5x points spread) varies so greatly from region to
region (not to mention the difficulty of the rides, just compare the
winning times......)

As far as weight division points go, having them reduced in a similar way
to overall points would be fine by me.  Theoretically we should be
competing against riders in our own region who are also attending those
same rides so it shouldn't matter.  Maybe instead of 10, use 3 or 5 as a
means of figuring the points -- maybe do it in similar fashion to how the
points system works now in each region.  The top 10% of each regions weight
divisions, with a maximum of 10 in each division.  If my region has 10
people in each weight division (all do except 1, and it has 9...) that
means that there are 100 people (at least) in that division.  Another
region that has 3 people in the point standings equals to 30 riders
actively competing in their division......they have an advantage, no.....?

It would take some spreadsheet work to crunch the numbers, but I'm sure it
could be done and previous ride seasons could be compared to see what
difference it would make to the results.   It probably won't affect the
majority of the membership.  Let's face it though, most of the people in
the points standings (at least in the larger regions) travel to other
regions to ride.  I don't think there is any way to make it far and equal
to everybody, other than using plain 'ol simple mileage.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV
& Rocky, 2,410 miles